Shootin' the Bull:Simplicity Equals Reliability The Importance of not just ROI, But Protecting Your Investment.
Published on Fri, 10/03/2014 - 1:40pm
Cattle prices this year have reached an all time high. Of course it’s about time, but now more than ever we need to think about protecting our investment. The average cow is worth TWICE what she was even this time last year. One of the biggest challenges that producers face is providing a safe, clean, quality water source to their herd during times of year when they are grazing and/or being fed in remote areas.
This is important to not only maximize production, but to protect our valuable livestock from health issues or even death caused by a hazardous water source (such as wading through mud to get to water, or falling through ice on a dugout or river). There are a number of effective livestock watering systems available to help producers protect their investment. One such system is called the Frostfree Nosepump.
The Frostfree Nosepump is different from ANY other livestock waterer in that it requires absolutely NO POWER to pump or heat the water. Instead, the water supply remains in the ground below the frost zone and is manually pumped up to surface by the livestock themselves (via a piston pump) on demand. The system does use geothermal heat from the ground and insulation to hold the ground heat in and keep the cold temperatures out. It also allows uncontaminated water to weep back from the pump when not in use, and requires an insulated pad around the waterer to diminish the frost zone above the water source.
The Frostfree Nosepump has a number of very important benefits for producers:
•Increases production — higher quality water converts to better rates of gain and healthier animals.
• Improves health — cleaner water minimizes digestion and heath issues; keeping animals out of water sources keeps them cleaner, safer, and reduces issues with ailments like foot rot.
• Saves money — no ongoing input costs for power bill, electronics, fuel, batteries, solar panels etc.
• Saves time — no chopping ice, no pumping, hauling, or thawing water.
• Saves the Environment — keeping livestock out of water sources and off riparian areas minimizes contamination, allows vegetation to flourish which will filter runoff water, and reduces erosion.
“The Frostfree Nosepump has performed well through our cold winter and the customer support has been excellent.”
– Ginger Lanigan DVM Quesnel, BC, Canada